Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Special Woman


Happy Mothers Day to the most beautiful woman in the world!


My mom lives in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I live in Provo, Utah, U.S.A.
Living far away from my mom has only made me appreciate her more. There's no one in Canada I miss more than her. I'm dedicating this blog post to her for Mother's Day.

You wouldn't even know this woman has been a mom for 42 years, raising seven kids, and being the perfect grandma to dozens more.

See how she still oozes glamor, poise, charm, and confidence.
She's the kind of mom who doesn't have to spell out what she's thinking. Sometimes you just know. Just like I KNOW I'm her favorite daughter. ;)

My mom leads by example. She is the best role model a girl could ask for. She always knows the right answer, and always has the Holy Ghost with her.

Just ask my Dad. I'm sure he's learned a lesson or two from her.
Seriously, could they look any more in love? They're adorable!
When I was little, I used to pretend I was a cat and purr my way into her bedroom and into her bed while she was reading. She played along every time. I loved reading next to her. She's the kind of person you just want to be with, even if there's no conversation. She has a presence that makes you feel safe and comfortable no matter what.

(When she came to visit me last year, we ate at Jimmy John's. When I saw that sign, I just HAD to take a picture with her under it.)

My mom loves to play games. She loves word games, but my favorite game to play with her is Speed (the fast-paced card game). She'll play with me over and over again even though I always win because she knows she's making me happy. If that's not a trait of the perfect mother, what is?
My mom is super smart too. She has a degree in education, and is the best piano teacher in Eastern Canada. She also works harder than anyone I know. When I was in early morning seminary, she would come to the church with me so she could practice the organ. Just to emphasize, that was EVERY MORNING at 6 a.m. for FIVE YEARS!! (I did an extra year.) Playing the organ did not come easily to my mom but she would practice for HOURS to make sure she could play the hymns for Sacrament meeting.

Another thing I love about my mom is how she can get excited about simple things, just like me! I remember we found this amazing ice cream shop on the way to a family reunion in Idaho that sold SQUARE ice cream cones. I thought it was the coolest thing ever! And whereas my husband made fun of me for being so excited, my mom was right there with me loving her square ice cream cone!

My mom has a great sense of humor too! Remember the potato in the water glass? My favorite memories of her are the times when she laughs so hard she starts crying! Which makes ME laugh so hard, I start crying too! And then there's no stopping us. It takes forever to stop the giggles.

My mom HATES shopping. But as you see here in this picture, she is always willing to put that behind her for a special outing with her kids (i.e. ME!). She is always thinking about us and rarely about herself.

My mom had colon cancer last year. I bet not a lot of people even know what she went through, because seriously, have you ever heard her complain? So many people would use that opportunity to get sympathy and special treatment. But not my mom. I flew home for the surgery to help take care of her, but that was a bust! She still made dinner each night and wouldn't let me baby her. It was more a week of hanging out than anything else. (Which of course, was totally worth the trip.)

So, Mama Strang, this kiss is for you. Thanks for everything you've done for me. I wouldn't be who I am and where I am today without you. You're simply the best. I love you.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that's right! I forgot you were from Ontario. I feel such a kindred love for Onterioians (??) because of my great love for running across the border to get drunk in my late teens. Well, and also because of the great shared fireworks display in early July. And I guess I should count sailing around the Georgian Bay every summer too. But mostly I remember getting drunk in Windsor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! What an excellent tribute to your mama!

    ReplyDelete